Operation: March 23, 1915
Initial Bearing: 48o 55' 29" N Lat. 125o
33' 13" W Long
is located on Vancouver Island off the south west coast of Canada.
a 31-day Wigham lamp was installed at Amphitrite Point and was maintained
by the lifeboat operator stationed at Ucluelet. Eight years later the
Princess Maquinna radioed Victoria with news that this light tower had
washed away. Indeed, a tidal wave had hit on January 2nd, 1914 and demolished
the tower. Following this, a hanging lantern was installed in a different
1919, James Fraser, a watchman from the Ucluelet lifeboat station, took
over light keeping duties at the Amphitrite lighthouse. Wartime cutbacks
had grealy reduced the wages of light keepers and for $10 per month Fraser
made a daily one mile hike at sunset to light the lamp wick, another trip
at midnight to wind the machinery and trim the wicks, and yet another
trek at sunrise to put the light out. This he did in all kinds of weather.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED